Incident Reporting

A vast majority of insurance claims are in relation to leaks/flooding, however other claims could include any accidental damage to fixtures and fittings, however the policy would not cover damage to loose fittings (such as carpet and furniture) which should be covered by the resident’s own contents insurance.

If you unfortunately have a leak in your apartment the first thing to do is to try to limit/mitigate the damage. We encourage residents to take a proactive approach and in the first instance, to let the resident of the flat (where the leak appears to be coming from) to check for the source of the leak and make repair, even if temporary. If the leak is significant, it is advisable the resident causing the leak to isolate the water supply to there flat. The affected resident should collect any drips in a bucket and take care not to use any switches should the leak be near any lights or electrical outlets. It is also advisable that the affected Leaseholder arranges for a dehumidifier to be placed in the apartment to draw out the excess water from the internal surfaces.

If the block has a concierge, please make them aware as soon as possible. Please report the leak to MRM as soon as possible so we can ensure the owner of the apartment causing the leak, is notified and advised to make repair. If after 5pm or before 9am, please call the out of hours service on 0161 393 4544

If the apartment is becoming flooded and the resident responsible cannot stop the leak straightaway, MRM would likely arrange for the water supply to be isolated, until necessary repairs to the leak have been carried out.

Making a Claim

Once MRM have been notified of the incident/damage, we would try to establish the severity and advise what the next steps are. Insurance policies carry an excess and, depending on the particular building, the excess could be set at £100 or set at more than £1,000. If the damage is small (such as a stain on the ceiling) where the cost of remediation is lower than the policy excess, an insurance claim cannot be advanced. MRM would
endeavour to notify the Leaseholder causing the damage of their responsibility to pay the policy excess (or cost of damage below excess) to the affected Leaseholder.

If an insurance claim is to progress, MRM would ask the Leaseholder to send the following information to log the claim with insurers: –

Nature of the incident and damage being caused/ Date of incident/leak/ Any photographs of the incident/damage/ Any quotes for repair of damage, if available at the time.

Once the insurers have provided a clam number and advised on any further information, we would refer back to the Leaseholder. The usual further information required is:

2 like for like estimates to repair the damage/ how the loss has been mitigated/ Any emergency call out invoices/receipts (plumber, electrician, glazier where applicable)/ Measurements of damaged area(s)

Sometimes Leaseholders have the damage rectified before their claim has been approved, in such circumstances the Leaseholder may fail to gain full re-imbursement for the works.

There may be further costs to consider depending on the scale of works (such as loss of rent). For high value claims, insurers may send a loss adjuster to inspect the damage caused.

Once a quotation has been approved by insurers, MRM would convey the same to the affected Leaseholder that they can instruct the approved contractor to carry out works. On completion of works, insurers will require a copy of the contractor’s invoice so insurers can release settlement of the claim.

The insurance payment to you or your contractor will be the approved costs minus the insurance excess unless the source of the leak was from a communal or external source in which case the management company would pay the excess portion of the claim to you/your contractor.


© Manchester Residential Managment Limited

Company Number: 5324246